5/23/2012

Changing Impressions

If I were to look at how my impressions on japan have changed since I been here through just a normal perspective I would say, that to be honest, I don’t know if I’ve have many changing impressions of Japan. For the most part I feel the same as I did when I came here in August.
The biggest difference isn’t how I view Japan, but how I view my home back in the US.  I think about how much more efficient things are here compared to Chicago. I think about how I should be using the trains or riding my bike to get places instead of getting in my car and driving across the street to get some milk.
But if I were to think about how my impressions on Japan have changed because of Visual Anthropology….
I would say that I’m more interested in learning about Sub cultures in Japan. I now ask my Japanese friends why things are a certain way. Even if they don’t know the real answer I like knowing what their reason is and what they think about it.  I like to learn about the different dialects in japan, I always ask my friends to teach me different sayings that are common in the areas that they are from.  I like being taken to small underground shows and seeing a different part of japan that seems to be hidden from the mainstream media. I’m interested in why certain things are hidden in japan and why other things seem to be normal or glorified. There are so many things that I am interested in, but being in Japan for 9 months isn’t long enough to fully learn anything.  I’ve only scratched the surface. And I’ve realized that I really don’t know much about Japan.

I honestly had no idea what pictures to use for this since none of the ones I have taken would go with this post, since I didn’t know how to capture changing impressions. So these are just pictures that I took in august to try to show my parents what I thought japan looked like.

No comments:

Post a Comment